The mission of The Schapiro Center for Multiple Sclerosis® at the Minneapolis Clinic of Neurology is to be a "center of excellence" for multiple sclerosis management, education and clinical research.
Organizational goals of the Center are to:
1. Provide excellent quality care to those with multiple sclerosis, with an emphasis on interdisciplinary management and rehabilitation.
2. Improve the quality of life for people with multiple sclerosis.
3. Provide a comprehensive life management plan for people with multiple sclerosis, which promotes independence and optimal functioning.
4. Support and participate in research into new treatments for multiple sclerosis.
5. Develop and implement educational and advocacy programs that will support patient needs.
We are located within the Minneapolis Clinic of Neurology's home office building in Golden Valley (a suburb of Minneapolis). You will find that our clinic is a state-of-the-art facility where you will be able to take advantage of many services. Frequent team meetings, with staff and all members of our comprehensive team, occur to facilitate communication and solve difficult patient MS management issues.
Center for Neuro-Vision Disorders and Lab
Jonathan Calkwood, M.D.
Jerome Phaff, PA-C
Amy Gilbert, R.N.
Andy Helling, R.N.
Brenda Larson R.M.A.
Sara Lindberg, C.M.A.
MS Certified Nurses
At The Schapiro Center for Multiple Sclerosis at the Minneapolis Clinic of Neurology, we are very proud of our long-standing commitment to providing MS certified nursing for comprehensive MS care. Our Center is unique because our nursing team is the most experienced in the world, with over 75 years of cumulative experience among them. Not only are they committed to their MS patients, they are leaders in MS nursing, working with the International Organization of MS Nurses to develop standards in MS Nursing.
Brenda Brelje, R.N., M.S.C.N.
Pam Kuhl, R.N., C.R.R.N., M.S.C.N.
Rosemary Nelson, R.N., M.S.C.N.
Clinical Services Supervisor
Colleen and Laurie serve the front desk, receiving patients and triaging phone calls. Through their pleasant assistance, your visit at The Schapiro Center will be a positive experience. In addition, they will coordinate your appointments in a streamlined fashion.
Rehabilitation therapists who are specially trained in MS physical therapy are available on-site in our up-to-date physical therapy gym. Skilled and friendly, they allow each person with MS to make the most of what they have. They provide individualized treatment plans for issues with balance, strengthening, ambulation, assistive devices and wheelchair custom fitting. Our physical therapists evaluate patients’ needs and design individualized therapeutic exercise programs to help improve patients’ overall well being and fitness.
Occupational therapy and speech therapy are obtained through our association with the Courage Center and the University of Minnesota Medical Center rehabilitation programs.
Founded in 1977 as The Fairview Multiple Sclerosis Center by Randall T. Schapiro, M.D., The Schapiro Center for Multiple Sclerosis was renamed in 2003 as it returned to the Minneapolis Clinic of Neurology.
The following are a few highlights of our history:
• First comprehensive MS Center in the United States
• Pioneered an interdisciplinary care approach toward treating multiple sclerosis
• Cohesive staff with the most clinical experience in the country
• Produced the first controlled exercise study in MS in conjunction with the Heuga Center in Colorado
• Produced research which brought to market Medtronic’s baclofen pump along with other medications for symptom management
• Original founding member of the Consortium of MS Centers
• First National Multiple Sclerosis Society affiliated center with continuing affiliation with the Minnesota Chapter
With this rich history, we look toward the future by adding new and unique clinical programs including neuro-ophthalmology for multiple sclerosis.
Center for Neuro-Vision Disorders and Neuro-Visual Diagnostic Laboratory
Dr. Jonathan Calkwood is a neurology-trained neuro-ophthalmologist. He provides comprehensive clinical and visual diagnostic services as part of the neuro-visual diagnostic laboratory at The Schapiro Center for Multiple Sclerosis at the Minneapolis Clinic of Neurology in Golden Valley.
Visual Disorders in Multiple Sclerosis
• Optic Neuritis
• Skew Deviation
• Pseudo-tumor Cerebri
• Anomalous Optic Neuropathies
• Optic Nerve Drusen
• Optic Neuropathies:
- Ischemic, Hereditary, Traumatic and Compressive
• Ocular Myasthenia
• Graves Disease
• Essential Blepharospasm
• Functional Visual Disorders
• Migranous Visual Disorders
Neuro-Visual Diagnostic Lab Services
• Slit Lamp Biomicroscopy
• Perimetry (Visual Field Testing)
• Ophthalmic Photography
• OCT (Optical Coherence Tomography)
Multiple Sclerosis Education
The Schapiro Center's staff has led the national wave of educational programs for those with MS. The following are examples of what you can expect in working with our staff.
• A MS manual entitled, "Aids for Independence".
• Randall T. Schapiro's "Managing the Symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis 5th Edition" (Demos Medical Publishing, New York).
• Facetime with Dr. Jonathan Calkwood: New time and location! Join Dr. Calkwood at the Minneapolis Clinic of Neurology in Golden Valley. Click on this link for date, time and location details and for the current schedule.
• As appropriate, each new patient will spend an hour with a highly skilled MS certified nurse specialist, learning about MS in an individualized approach.
• Other educational programs occur regularly throughout the year.
Multiple Sclerosis Educational Articles
• Spasticity in Multiple Sclerosis
• Bladder Management
• Bowel Management
Links to other multiple sclerosis websites:
• Consortium of Multiple Sclerosis Centers: www.mscare.org
• Heuga Center: www.heuga.org
• National Multiple Sclerosis Society: www.nationalmssociety.org
Multiple Sclerosis Research
While The Schapiro Center for Mulitple Sclerosis is internationally recognized for patient management, it is also known for its clinical research programs. The Center's projects have included studies in the following:
• Caregiver comfort
• Long-term outcomes
• Medical management
• Spasticity management
• Utilization of services
Nicole, Clinical Research Coordinator
Click here for current clinical trials.
Our affiliation with the Minnesota Chapter of the National MS Society provides an experienced social worker who understands the difficulties and solutions to the myriad of social issues confronting those with MS.
All questions and appointments can be made by calling 763.302.4199. There is free parking available at this campus of the Minneapolis Clinic of Neurology.
The Schapiro Center for Multiple Sclerosis®
at the Minneapolis Clinic of Neurology
4225 Golden Valley Road
Golden Valley, MN 55422
Directions To Our Center
The Schapiro Center is located on the 2nd floor of the Minneapolis Clinic of Neurology. Enter through Door 3, locate the check-in desk on the main floor, take the elevator or the stairs up to the 2nd floor to the MS Center and then locate the check-in desk on the 2nd floor. Typically patients will have to check in at both the main floor check-in desk and the 2nd floor check-in desk. Please try to arrive 15 minutes before your scheduled appointment.
From the North:
Interstate 94/694 to Highway 100 south; exit Duluth Street and go left (east) on Golden Valley Road one mile. Turn right into the parking lot at 4225 Golden Valley Road.
From the South:
Interstate 494 to Highway 100 north; exit Duluth Street and go right (east) on Golden Valley Road one mile. Turn right into the parking lot at 4225 Golden Valley Road.
From the West:
Interstate 494 or Highway 62 or Interstate 394 or Highway 55 east to Highway 100 north; exit Duluth Street and go right (east) on Golden Valley Road one mile. Turn right into the parking lot at 4225 Golden Valley Road.
From the East:
Interstate 494 or Highway 62 or Interstate 394 or Highway 55 west to Highway 100 north; exit Duluth Street and go right (east) on Golden Valley Road one mile. Turn right into the parking lot at 4225 Golden Valley Road.